Pages

Saturday 19 May 2018

Stars


Time for another challenge at the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown! For my theme challenge, I chose "Stars".


I decided to make a panel card.

I started by die cutting stars of different sizes from a sheet of mask film. I cut two of each size to have a variety.

After cutting card to size for a 6x6 card blank, I masked off my panel. For my first colour, I added tattered rose, using a Clarity stencil brush.


I then added a few of my star masks, and added more colour - tattered rose and worn lipstick, getting darker gradually.


I added the rest of the stars and darkened the colour further, with picked raspberry, seedless preserves and dusty concord.


As well as the brushes, I used sponges to wipe the ink from the masks onto the card, to make the edges crisper.

Time for the big reveal!


While digging out the mask film, I found my sheet of Clarity star masks (ready made) so thought I'd try a version with these.

I chose blues and purple for this one.


And the reveal:


I did more layers of stars in this one, so there is more variety in the colours. But I only added purple at the end, so they don't blend as well, and the stars are more similar in size, so I think I prefer the first version with my home made stars!

To finish off, I edged the panels with a black drawing pen. I stamped a sentiment onto the panel with black archival ink.


It didn't stand out particularly, especially on the blue, so I added white highlights around it with a gel pen. I used the stamp platform for the sentiment, so once I'd added the white I could re-stamp in black to repair where I'd gone over the letters, and be sure it would line up perfectly.


The final step was to edge with a black sharpie pen, then mount onto a 6x6 card blank.



So that's two more Christmas cards to add to my collection for the year!

I do like panel cards, they always look so crisp and clean.






How will you interpret our "Star" theme?

To join in, go to the 52CCT page. This challenge closes at midnight BST on Friday 25th May.




I look forward to seeing what you come up with!



5 comments:

  1. Elles sont superbes et si sobre Lucinda, ce qui est si difficile pour moi à réussir, biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Fabiola. Ça prend un peu de pratique.

      Delete
  2. They really do look clean and crisp with beautiful variations in colour.
    The first card I made for our challenge was turquoise, strangely, but instead of looking Christmassy it looked like a baby card. It won't go to waste, not much does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison. Crafters never waste anything! There's always a way to repurpose or upcycle. My husband despairs of the stuff I insist on keeping.

      Delete
    2. I hide all mine under the bed so no-one knows!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda