Pages

Saturday 4 March 2017

A doodled sketch



It's time for another sketch challenge at the Christmas Card Throwdown.


I had a card planned for this sketch, but when I came to make it today, I felt like doing something completely different!

I started with a 7x7 piece of Clarity stencil card, and added distress ink with a blending tool - mowed lawn, fired brick and wild honey to lift the colour.


The wild honey is really juicy, hence the flash on the left - which I was able to lose when I trimmed it down to size for a 5x7 card base.


I then got out a selection of small Christmas stamps, and, using black archival ink, stamped them in rows down the side, for the stripes of the sketch.


With a fine permanent pen I joined the stamped images with doodles, which made the three lines clearer.

For the sentiment, I used part of the off cut from my inked card. I stamped a doodle style frame, and the words "Merry Christmas", plus a couple of stars. I then added more doodles with the pen.


I edged this, and the background, with a black sharpie. I then mounted the sentiment on a scrap of white card.


To finish the background, I over stamped in mowed lawn and fired brick, second generation ink. I used a curly stamp from Leonie Pujol, snowflakes and the stars, and some swirls.

There's one section on the middle I wasn't that happy with, so that's where the sentiment goes!

The final touch was a bit of clear sparkle overlay pen on the doodles. As it's water based, I got a bit of faux bleaching thrown in, which I like. I got a bit carried away on the sentiment, and I managed to get the angle for the photos where it really shines!


But it's Christmas, so I think I can get away with a bit of bling.

To join in with our sketch challenge, visit us at the Christmas Card Throwdown - you have until midnight GMT on Friday 17th March.



10 comments:

  1. Wow! This is absolutely awesome. I love the beautifully blended background, such pretty colours, and those doodled lines of decorations are just fab! I love your take on the sketch. xxxx

    PS I feel I might have to CASE (steal) this design! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. Doodling seems to be everywhere at the moment, and using the stamps gives a good starting point. Feel free to CASE!

      Delete
  2. I like how you take our sketch and you made such a fantastic background :-)) Beautiful card!
    Hugs, Andreja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andreja, I do love a good inky background!

      Delete
  3. Such a stunning card! I really love the doodles! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elle est si originale et lumineuse Lucinda, j'aime le resultat, biz

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so clever! It looks like a stamp. I do like the colours too. I've got out of the habit of inky background but I keep admiring other peoples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison, lots of little stamps made to look like a big one! I'm a bit addicted to my messy backgrounds x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda